Our Artist of the Month Program supports up and coming local Frederick County artists by providing them an opportunity to exhibit and sell their work without the usual commission or fees. The program also brings ever changing local art to the walls of Cowork Frederick for a more creative, vibrant work environment. As part of the program, artists participate in a Frederick Artists Night (FAN) event with an exhibit and reception open to the public, along with live music from a local singer-songwriters and, on occasion, also a poetry reading or other expression of creativity.
How it Works
- Interested artists complete a sign-up form, providing information about themselves and their art.
- After qualifications are confirmed, the artist is scheduled for an agreed-upon future month and pays a $50 fee.
- Art is hung the week prior to the first Saturday of the month and is left on our art roughly one month.
- The artist participates in an exhibit and reception open to the public (the “Frederick Artists Night” event).
- The Foundation takes no commission. The artist gets 100% of any sales made.
Be an “Artist of the Month”
It’s easy. We’re not “judgy” about your art. We don’t try to determine if your art will sell or is worth the space on our wall. We are open to all kinds of creative expression. We have only a few requirements (see below). Never done an exhibit before? Fantastic! We’re all about stepping up, trying something new, and learning. We’ve been “the first” for many artists.
This is a great way to share your art with the world. Frederick Artists Night (FAN) occurs on a First Saturday for optimal downtown foot traffic. People come in specifically to see local art – your art. Live music and food help to bring people in the door and keep them around longer. You can also hold a private showing later in the month. Other times, your art will be seen by members of Cowork Frederick, their guests, and others who rent our meeting rooms or attend events.
Plus – this program does things that other “hang your art on our wall” type programs offer:
- Promotion – Your art doesn’t just hang around on a wall. We actively promote Frederick Artists Night and your exhibit with posters, social media posts, and a spot on our event calendar and elsewhere.
- Commission-free money (maybe) – We can’t promise you’ll sell anything, but promise you get to keep the entire amount of any sale you make. There’s a one-time fee of $50 to participate, but we do not take a commission on any sale.
- Connection – Get invitations to events, meet other local artists, and share ideas via our FAN club online community.
To qualify for the Artist of the Month program:
- You must live and/or operate a studio within Frederick County.
- Your art must be hang-able.
- Your art must be office friendly (no nudity, no violence, etc.) If you’re in doubt, ask.
- You must hang enough art to cover a 30-foot wall (you can team up with another artist if you want).
- You must participate in a Frederick Artists Night event the month you are assigned.
Be a sponsor
Sponsoring the Artist of the Month Program helps us support local Frederick County artists, musicians, poets, and other creatives by giving them platform to share their work. It also provides a great, creative vibe to the small biz freelancers and entrepreneurs at Cowork Frederick.
Sponsoring a Frederick Artists Night directly impacts those working to bring the local creativity to the public. Your money pays for the music, food, and/or the exhibit itself.
Be a mentor
We believe together is better, so when we created this program including a community FAN club where artists could connect, share ideas, and learn from each other was a given. We’re looking for those with experience to mentor newer artists. Interested? Contact us.
Give a talk
We’re also look for people interested in giving educational talks on art-specific subjects like art framing, writing a good bio, and tips for successful exhibits. Interested? Contact us and let us know what you’d like to share.
Spread the word
We’re working hard to get news of this program out into the world. Want to help? Tell your artists and art-loving friends. Share a link to this page. We’d sure appreciate it.