The Artist of the Month Program supports up-and-coming local Frederick County artists by providing them an opportunity to exhibit and sell their work. The program also brings ever-changing local art to the walls of Cowork Frederick for a more creative, vibrant work environment.
To qualify for the program:
- You must live within Frederick County.
- Your art must be hang-able.
- At least half of the art you offer for sale must be priced below $250.
- Your art must be office-friendly (no nudity, no violence, no foul language). The Cowork Frederick Foundation reserves the right to reject art it determines is not appropriate.
- You must be able to hang enough art to cover a 30-foot wall. That’s typically 10-20 pieces. A combination of sizes is OK.
- You must hang a minimum of 5 pieces of art and a maximum of 30 pieces of art.
- You must participate in a FAN event on the First Saturday of the month per the terms defined below.
As part of the program, the Cowork Frederick Foundation will:
- Promote the program, the monthly Frederick Artist Night (FAN) event, and your specific exhibit.
- Allow you to hang your art on Cowork Frederick “art wall” with its hanging system and lighting so you can display your art.
- Sponsor the FAN event by covering the cost for the room reservation.
- Set up the Cowork Frederick Community Room (with the art wall) for the event (move tables and chairs, etc.)
By participating in our Artist of the Month program, you agree you will:
- Pay the required fee. Once we have confirmed you meet the requirements of this program, you will pay us a non-refundable $75.00 to help offset the cost of promoting and hosting the Frederick Artists Night event. Once we have received that fee, we will mutually agree on the month you will be our featured local artist. Checks should be made payable to the Cowork Frederick Foundation.
- Hang your art and remove your art at agreed-upon times. Cowork Frederick’s Community Room has a large wall dedicated to local art – the “art wall”. We will contact you to schedule a time to hang your art and again when it’s time to take your art down. When hanging your art, you must use Cowork Frederick’s hanging system. Small signs with artist, artwork, and price information can (and should) be carefully adhered to the wall. Additional items (calendars, postcards, flyers) can be placed on tables for the FAN event, but must be removed at the end of the event. We’ll gladly show you how the hanging system works and offer feedback on layout, but it’s entirely up to you (or your agent) to hang your art. We don’t know your art as well as you and, frankly, don’t want responsibility for handling it. Once your art is hung, we’ll adjust the lighting to highlight it.
- Hold an open exhibit – and be present – for a First Saturday FAN event. Having an exhibit open to the public that day is a non-negotiable requirement of our artist program. The FAN event is scheduled from 3 PM to 7 PM. You must arrive by 2:30 pm and be at Cowork Frederick, available to address questions and talk about your art, during the FAN event. Being able to meet the artist and learn more about the art is an important part of the FAN event. Note the FAN event is the only time your exhibit is open to the general public. Otherwise, your art can be seen by the many people who work, meet, or attend events at Cowork Frederick.
- (optionally) Hold an additional private reception to showcase your art. If you choose, you may also hold up to a 2-hour private showing. You must work with us to identify and schedule a time for this private showing. We will not promote this private showing on our website or any other location. It is entirely your event. The tables and chairs in the room will not be moved for this private showing. If you move them, you must put them back in place.
- Leave your art up for two months. Keeping a fresh flow of creative art inside the Cowork Frederick workspace is one of the key components of this program. After the FAN event, you must leave your art hung on the art wall for the remainder of the month. At the end of the first month, your art will be moved to our second building at 120 E. Patrick street for maximum exposure.
- Sell your art. At least half of the art you exhibit must be for sale. Please post prices on or beside all your art and/or provide a pricing sheet that clearly identifies the price for each piece of art hung on our art wall. Art may be sold “off the wall”, allowing buyers to take art home with them at the time of purchase. Alternatively, art can be marked as sold and the buyer can pick up the purchased art at the end of the month. You must be present when buyers pick up their art. You may accept payment directly or we can process credit card payments for you. You must tell us the total amount to process, including sales tax or fees. We will give you a check for the net amount (total of the amounts you asked us to charge, minus processing fees we are charged) when you come to take your art down. We do not charge a commission.
- Promote your exhibit, referencing Cowork Frederick and Frederick Artists Night. We will promote FAN in general and your exhibit. You will also promote your exhibit via email or social media campaigns, posters, flyers and/or any means you believe will reach your target audience. When promoting your exhibit, you must reference “Cowork Frederick” and “Frederick Artists Night” and tag us in the post. We’ll gladly provide logos and suggested language you can use.
- Hold Cowork Frederick and the Cowork Frederick Foundation harmless. Cowork Frederick’s insurance does not cover your art. You hang your art and leave it at Cowork Frederick at your own risk. We recommend you maintain insurance to cover liability, loss, theft, damage, and such. Regardless, you agree to hold Cowork Frederick harmless.
- Be accountable for your actions. Should any action or inaction on your part or the part of your agent or invitees harm or cause damage to Cowork Frederick, you agree to pay for repairs and any related costs.
- Privacy. You agree to not inappropriately share, reproduce, use or attempt to obtain information or materials of any Cowork Frederick member or their business not intentionally made available to you. Also, neither the Cowork Frederick, or the Cowork Frederick Foundation are liable for any misappropriation of your private, trade secret or business information by members or guests.
- Consume alcohol, food, or anything else responsibly and at your own risk. The Cowork Frederick Foundation, Glen Ferguson, Julia Ferguson, and Ferguson Holdings LLC have no liability for illness, accidents, or any bad thing that results from your consumption of a substance of any kind at Cowork Frederick.
- Obey the law. You agree not to use Cowork Frederick for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited, including doing anything that would damage, disable, or impair any property of Cowork Frederick or its members or the members themselves. You agree to adhere to government requirements for reporting sales and sales tax. We are not a retailer. If we collect payment on your behalf it is strictly as a convenience service to you.
Cowork Frederick provides use of its space as a service and not a lease of real property and disclaims all warranties and conditions, express, implied or statutory, including but not limited to merchantability or fitness for a specific purpose or use. Risk of your use of Cowork Frederick lies with you.
The Cowork Frederick Foundation reserves the right to disclose information about you, your participation in and use of the services Cowork Frederick provides as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request. You permit us to publish information about you or your art, including but not limited to your name, bio, a description of your art, and a URL. You permit us to take pictures or video recordings of you and your art in our space and to use them at our discretion. We may also edit, refuse to post, or remove any of your information, materials, or belongings in whole or in part from our website(s), social media pages, or premises. This will all be done at our sole discretion.
We reserve the right to terminate your participation in and use of any Services, immediately and without notice, if you fail to comply with this agreement. By participating in the Artist of the Month program, you indicate you will abide by the terms in this agreement, which is legal in the State of MD, and you represent you have the authority to do so and in doing so are not violating any agreement you have with any other party.